Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bears Draft Recap: Actually Not Terrible

  

Wait, did the Bears actually just make a couple draft picks that made perfect sense?  I guess it is a little easier when you have 1st and 2nd round draft picks for a change.  Their draft wasn't perfect (and I'm not taking into account that they were too stupid to actually notify the league that they had agreed to a trade with the Ravens...good luck ever trading with them again), but it definitely looks like they got a couple players that can have a big impact on the team for years to come.


I personally thought the Bears number one need in this draft was offensive line help, and the Bears addressed that by picking Gabe Carimi, offensive tackle from Wisconsin with their first pick.  Carimi was a four year starter at Wisconsin and one of the main reasons that anybody who had the ability to walk upright was able to get chunks of rushing yards for the Badgers last year.  The scouting reports have him rated as "exceptional" in run blocking, awareness and strength, and "average" for pass blocking.  I'm guessing Cutler was hoping that pass blocking rating was better, but for the end of the first round, this seems like a really good pick.  Also, he instantly has the coolest nickname on the Bears (if not the league), which is always a plus.


That's a serious nickname to live up to, and I'm not sure if typing Lol at the end of a tweet like a 13 year old girl, helps you live up to it.


In the 2nd round the Bears traded up (What!? Bears traded up!? Seems like another sign that 2012 is the end) and selected Stephen Paea, defensive tackle from Oregon State. Another nice pick for the Bears.  Defensive tackle was a huge priority in this draft with Anthony Adams and Tommie Harris hitting free agency this year.  I don't know if Paea is going to be racking up the sacks any time soon, but he should be able to keep blockers off the Bears linebackers, which is just as important.  Oh yeah, and dude is strong as fuck.  You don't have to take my word for it though, watch this video of him setting the combine bench press record.


I'm not quite as excited about the rest of the draft though.  The pick of safety, Chris Conte from Cal, makes it seem like Danieal Manning (who actually played well last year) is not gonna be on the team next year.  Picking a QB in the 5th round seems a little weird to me.  I know Todd Collins is gone, but I think Caleb Hanie proved he can be a back up NFL QB, and if they just wanted a third stringer they could us just waited and gotten an undrafted free agent like Pat Devlin from Delaware or Scott Tolzien from Wisconsin.  I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I know anything about 6th round pick J.T. Thomas, but I guess the Bears could use a little depth at line backer.

Overall, I give this draft a B for the Bears.  I really like their first two picks, but I'm not too excited about anything after that.

What do you guys think about the Bears draft?  Vote 1 star for they totally fucked it up and 5 stars for it was a perfect draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment